Grilled Halloumi Cheese with Mushrooms
Grilled Halloumi Cheese with Mushrooms is a unique idea for a summer side dish, and these Halloumi skewers are so tasty! And if you’ve never had Halloumi, you are in for a real treat.
PIN the Grilled Halloumi Cheese with Mushrooms to try it later!
I hope you’re starting to think about grilling! Last weekend I shared a new collection of Amazing Low-Carb and Keto Beef Steak on the Grill, and today I’m reminding you about this wonderful recipe for Grilled Halloumi Cheese with Mushrooms. If you’re going to be breaking out the grill over the weekend, this would be an ultra tasty and fun idea to try.
I came up with this recipe when I had a block of Halloumi in the fridge and some mushrooms that needed to be used up, and that was all the inspiration I needed! I marinated the cheese, mushrooms, and onions for a few hours in a mixture with Mediterranean flavors; then threaded them on to my favorite double skewers and grilled them.
The only thing that’s at all difficult about cooking the skewers on the grill is making sure you use oil or non-stick spray right before you put the skewers on so the melting cheese doesn’t stick. And if you’ve never had grilled Halloumi before, I’m thinking you’re going to love this recipe; hope you try it!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- 8 oz. brown mushrooms
- sweet onion
- Halloumi cheese
- Pam for Grilling (affiliate link) or oil for grill (VERY IMPORTANT)
- fresh squeezed lemon juice, I used my
- red wine vinegar
- olive oil
- Greek Seasoning (affiliate link)
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) or other all-purpose seasoning
What is Halloumi Cheese?
A few years ago I fell in love with Halloumi, a unique cheese from Cyprus that has a high melting point which allows it to be fried or grilled. The browned cheese is delightful, and although Halloumi is a bit of a budget splurge, it’s something I buy occasionally for a treat.
Can you make the Grilled Halloumi Cheese Skewers lower in carbs?
The highest ingredient here is the sweet onion, so if you want this recipe to be lower in carbs just use less onion or omit it completely.
What if you don’t have an outdoor grill?
If you don’t have an outdoor grill or it’s not grilling weather, you can cook the grilled Halloumi on a stove-top grill pan with ridges or it would be great cooked on a George Foreman Grill as well. (affiliate links) Remember the George Foreman Grill cooks both sides at once, so adjust the grilling time.
Want more food to cook on skewers?
Check out Amazing Recipes for Grilled Kabobs for more tasty food to cook on skewers!
How to make Grilled Halloumi Cheese with Mushrooms:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe with nutritional information.)
- This first photo shows the Halloumi I find at Smiths in downtown Salt Lake.
- I picked out 8 oz. of mushrooms that were about the same size, removed the stems if they were long, and washed the mushrooms in a colander.
- I cut the sweet onion into chunks about the same size as the mushrooms.
- The Halloumi was also cut up into pieces about the same size.
- I mixed together lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, Greek Seasoning (affiliate link), and Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) to make a marinade and marinated the cheese, mushrooms, and onions in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- When you’re ready to grill, drain the cheese and veggies into a colander placed in the sink.
- Thread the ingredients on to skewers. Double Kabob Skewers (affiliate link) are perfect for this if you have them.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high and brush or spray with oil or Pam for Grilling (affiliate link) right before you put the skewers on the grill. (Be careful in case it flames up a little!)
- I cooked about 6 minutes per side, using a flat skewer to scrape the cheese away from the grill when I was ready to turn them.
- And after about 12 minutes total cooking time I had these lovely skewers with beautifully browned Halloumi, juicy mushrooms, and still slightly crisp but browned sweet onions.
- Grilled Halloumi Cheese Skewers with Mushrooms were a delicious treat that didn’t last long at my house!
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
Grilled Halloumi Cheese with Mushrooms would be delicious with Air Fryer Shrimp, Very Greek Grilled Chicken, Marinated Beef Kabobs, Grilled Chicken with White Barbecue Sauce, or Air Fryer Marinated Chicken Breasts.
More Recipes with Halloumi Cheese:
Grilled Halloumi Salad ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Grilled Halloumi Bruschetta ~ All Day I Dream About Food
Halloumi Kabob ~ Give Recipe
- 8 oz. brown mushrooms
- 1 small sweet onion
- 8 oz. Halloumi cheese
- non-stick grilling spray or oil (VERY IMPORTANT) to use on grill right before you put the skewers on.
- 3 T fresh squeezed lemon juice, see notes
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 tsp. Greek Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning
- Remove large stems from the mushrooms, wash with cold water, and let mushrooms drain in a colander while you cut other ingredients.
- Cut off both ends of the onion, and then cut the onion into chunks that are about the same size as the mushrooms. (Try to keep the onion layers together if you can.)
- Cut the cheese into pieces the same size as the mushrooms and onions.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, Greek Seasoning (affiliate link), and Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) to make the marinade.
- Put the mushrooms, onions, and cheese pieces into a Ziploc bag and pour in the marinade. Let ingredients marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- When you’re ready to grill, make sure the grill surface is clean and then pre-heat to medium high while you thread mushrooms, cheese, and onions on skewers.
- Spray the grill with non-stick grilling spray or brush with a high smoke-point oil right before you put the skewers on. (Be careful in case it flames up.)
- Grill skewers about 6 minutes per side, using a flat turner to scrape the cheese away from the grill if needed when you’re ready to turn them. Serve hot.
I used my fresh-frozen lemon juice for this recipe.
This recipe created by Kalyn when she had Halloumi Cheese in the fridge that was calling her name!
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 276Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 934mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Grilled Halloumi Cheese with Mushrooms would be suitable for low-carb and low-glycemic diet plans but use less onion if you prefer for even fewer carbs. I used the 8.8 oz. package of Halloumi to make four servings, which probably means this is a once-in-a-while-treat for the original South Beach Diet, but this is perfect for other low-carb diet plans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Grilling Recipes to find more recipes like this. Use the Diet Type Index photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted the summer of 2013! It was last updated with more information in 2022.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.