Age Related Memory Loss – Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment

We’re all forgetful from time to time, aren’t we? Sometimes we forget where we put our clothes, what we did with that pen we needed so badly, or what we were doing just a few seconds ago.

Yes, we forget things from time to time, but 95% of the time it’s not anything serious. The other 5% suffer from a disorder commonly known as the memory loss disorder. This is usually caused by aging, with the grand majority of people that suffer from it being people in their late 70’s.

Memory Loss Causes

As mentioned previously, memory loss is mostly caused by aging. With time, the hippocampus, which is the region in the brain that handles the formation and retrieval of memories deteriorates, basically making you incapable of remembering anything anymore. With age, the blood flow decreases as well, making the body react slower and develop many handicaps, such as the incapacity to learn new information (for example, old people have a much harder time learning a new language than young people), having problem walking from point A to point B, and last but not least, having serious memory issues. A lot of times, these problems cannot actually be avoided, since we don’t have any cure for aging yet.

Memory Loss Symptoms

Symptom wise, it is pretty easy to tell if you’re starting to develop memory loss problems. Usually, these start to become a hindrance to your everyday life at the age of 50. If they start any sooner, then you might be dealing with a much more serious cause than old age. If that’s the case, then make sure that you exercise your mind on a daily basis. Try picking up the newspaper and solving the rebus on the side of the last page, or maybe try to do some simple math problems. Do whatever you can in order to keep your mind busy.

Think of your mind as a muscle. It stretches, it bends, but if you don’t use it at all then it will shrivel down and it will basically become useless. If you’ve already reached the point where you cannot remember what you did yesterday or the day before that, then you need to see a doctor as soon as possible. The doctor will see that you have the necessary meds ready and that you’re ready to face your problem face to face, instead of avoiding it until it’s too late.

A lot of old people tend to have the following mindset: “I’m old, this is what happens when you’re old”. The truth is that it does happen to a lot of old people, but that’s in no way a sign that you should give up, on the contrary actually. It is a sign that you need to fight back to regain your senses. Time is not gentle with anyone, and the older you get, the more problems start arising in your life. Make sure you always stay one step ahead of your problems so that you can counterattack them when the time comes.

Memory Loss Treatments

There are lots of herbs and medicinal plants that can be taken to avoid or at least just slow down the memory loss process. For example, there is the Ginkgo Biloba herbal treatment that is known as one of the most effective anti-memory loss treatment on the market. You can also try your hardest to always focus on something. Always keep calendars, clocks and notes with you so that you don’t lose your ground completely and make sure that you follow a daily routine. By doing the same thing every day you’ll create a pattern in your brain. This way, in case you actually lose your memory, your body will instinctively know what to do.

In conclusion, losing your memory is one of the most painful experiences a person can endure in their life. It not only affects yourself, but also your loved ones and everyone around you. If you want to make sure that you at least tried to keep calm and rationalize everything, then you need to try your hardest to at least counterattack everything thrown at you. Never give up, and you might still have a chance. Give up, and you won’t even remember the faces of your loved ones in no time.